Party Planning and Reminiscing

Things have been a little quiet here lately – we are busy planning a party! I have been meaning to do a party post but keep forgetting to take pictures so you may just have to hold out for after the day. I have decorations ready and stashed away, we have had our cake smash, and I have a shopping list for food ready to go. I feel pretty prepared although I will still no doubt be madly busy in the lead up to the party.

The party approaching has me totally nostalgic. I wish I knew where this last year went, it has been amazing but FAST! Today one year ago Lee and I went to the hospital for my booked induction. I was being induced as the baby was measuring rather large (they were estimating over 5kg!) and they had warned me I may have trouble giving birth. I was a ball of nerves and anxiety – I saw 2 year olds and imagined giving birth to a baby that size. I was so relieved my induction date had come – pregnancy had not been easy on me. I had been extremely ill the first half, and for the 2nd half my back and hip pain gradually got to the point where I struggled to walk. I loved being pregnant and feeling my little baby move, and shove it’s foot into my side, but it certainly was far harder then I had dreamed about.

I hardly slept the night before my induction. We arrived at hospital at 7am and I was checked in and sent up for monitoring. Our little wriggle pot always had the monitor happy. The midwife told us they were extremely busy that day and because I wasn’t considered an emergency I would probably go last. So we waited. And waited. Lunch time came and they sent us off for lunch and told us to come back in a couple of hours. We came back and waited some more.

Then I got called in – I was so relieved. The Obstetrician then told me due to how busy they were they had decided to cancel my induction. Cue tears. She then gave me an examination and said she didn’t feel like the baby was all that big, and due to the set up of their inductions I wouldn’t be able to be re-booked until next week – my due date. Cue hysterical sobbing and me imagining a giant baby tearing me in two. They offered me a Councillor because I was such a wreck but I just needed to go home. We arrived home and I laid in bed and cried and cried. I switched my phone off – because we had told our families about the induction and I was getting msgs to ask how things were going.

I think I slept for about 14 hours – which was a record from my whole pregnancy.. and then I woke up completely calm, this sudden feeling had come over me that everything was going to be fine and I totally relaxed. I had been so worked up and worried for weeks and suddenly everything felt fine. We enjoyed our last week of ‘just us’ – we ate out lots, went for tonnes of walks (in an attempt to bring on baby) and we watched a heap of movies. It was a really lovely time.

I arrived for induction take 2 far calmer, although I did tell them if they tried to send me home again I would be staging a sit in and not leaving until I had a baby. They didn’t and the next day we had our beautiful baby in our arms after a fairly easy birth. I tell people worried about giving birth that I thought birth was a relief after pregnancy – I would honestly do it a million times over. But I guess that’s another story.

He was more than worth the wait.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s